Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Relax and Write with Sigur Ros.

Today I am going to write an essay. Yes, pretty much the whole thing, because I am the ultimate procrastinator. When writing essays, i turn to Sigur Ros. Why? Because the music is soft enough that it doesn't distract me but not too soft that it puts me to sleep. If you have never listened to Sigur Ros you should really check them out. They are from Iceland and have a sound like no other. I saw them in concert at Massey Hall a couple weeks ago and it was the greatest show I've ever seen in my entire life. The lead singer plays an electric guitar with a violin bow, it's superb. The thing I love most about Sigur Ros is that I do not understand Icelandic at all, but I feel no need to. You can really feel what they are singing and playing about. Another really cool thing is that often they are not even singing in Icelandic, they are singing in a made up language that some people call 'hopelandic' or the Icelandic term, Vonlenska. Point is, everyone should give Sigur Ros a try.

I suggest...

Gobbledigook, Inní Mér Syngur Vitleysingur, Glósóli, Njosnavelin (Nothing Song, from the White Album), many unnamed White Album songs, and of course, my #1 favourite, Staralfur.

No comments: